streams

streams

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Worthy Life

It’s time to replace my running shoes again. My feet hurt when I run in them now. Although I like finding the perfect pair of shoes, I don’t like the process of trying on different pairs in order to find the right fit. I can never really determine if a shoe fits until I run a few miles in them anyway. And, in a few months, I will have to go through this whole process again as the new pair wears out.

At each stage of life, I struggle to find my purpose. I try on different roles, hoping to find the perfect fit. The calling changes as I grow and stretch. Each assignment prepares me for the next one.

Here are two verses that caught my attention recently:
“My life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned to me by the Lord Jesus--the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.” (Acts 20:24 NLT)
“I didn’t shrink from declaring all that God wants you to know.” (Acts 20:27 NLT)

Here is a person who has found his perfect fit, his highest purpose. He  communicates God’s grace.

The circumstances of our lives change us. Pain can make us sore, stiff, and worn out. However, the salve of grace can make us pliable and useful. What the world considers the good life--gaining as much power, honor, prestige, and wealth as possible, or experiencing as much pleasure as possible--really has no meaning. A worthy life is one in which we allow God to use us for His purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment