streams

streams

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Do Not Fear

There is a myth that the phrase ‘Do not fear’ is found 365 times in the Bible, (once for each day of the year)! It’s not true. When I read this meme online, I was immediately suspicious. It reminded me of other instances of neatly packaged, oversimplified theology that I have encountered.

It is true that there are a multitude of Bible verses that instruct us not to fear, dread, or worry.
“Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday.”(Psalm 91:5-6 NLT)
“Don’t panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you. (Isaiah 41:10 MSG)

We may be surrounded by fear of uncertainty, arrows of doubt, internal torment, and direct attacks of evil. Yet, over and over, God promises that we have nothing to fear.

I’ve got you. I’ll be with you. Do not dread the unknown or the perceptible.  I’ll hold you through the pain and suffering. It’ll be over soon. Lean in to me. Hold on to me. Trust me.

1 comment:

  1. This reminded me immediately of a dream I had this summer that shook me. I dreamt my husband and I were driving beside a long white tractor trailer on a commercial road where we go for breakfast. A garbage truck came through a red light directly at us out of control. I remember flipping in the air and hearing God's voice telling me not to be afraid because He was with me. I remember vividly letting go of the fear of death and letting God be with me and I awoke immediately.

    ReplyDelete