streams

streams

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Expanded Perspective

When I am looking at large paintings in a museum, I stand far enough back so that I can appreciate them properly. If I’m standing too close, I end up focusing on the individual brush strokes instead of the impact of the artwork as a whole.  Similarly, when I am looking at pictures of myself or my family, I tend to obsess over the imperfections rather than the positives. I am too close to the situation to have a proper perspective.

Prayer changes our perspective.  Sometimes it allows us to zoom in and see details, and other times it lets us zoom out and see the things in the background. Time and space can also expand our perspective. When we pray for ourselves and our closest loved ones, sometimes it’s difficult to see the impact. We are too close to have proper perspective. I have noticed that it takes me several years to appreciate God’s interventions in my own situations. It’s much easier to recognize grace in other people’s lives.

When we converse with God through prayer, His Spirit is like a docent at a museum--pointing out details, giving us a historical perspective, and explaining techniques. As we listen, we gain a deeper appreciation and understanding of what we are experiencing. We wonder how this docent knows each work of art so intimately. There is only one explanation...He must also be the Artist behind everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment