streams

streams

Monday, December 8, 2014

Conquering Evil

Thousands of individuals have climbed to the summit of Mt. Everest. Most of them rely heavily on experienced expedition guides to deal with logistics and equipment.

Although I have lived most of my life in America, I am of Indian origin. Recently, I heard of a thirteen-year-old Indian girl who became the youngest female to summit Mt. Everest. This made me curious. I did some research and found that, of all the mountain climbers who have reached the summit of Everest, less than 1% have been of Indian origin. This was surprising to me considering that Mt. Everest is practically in India’s backyard.

I would like to climb mountains, but I’m more likely to talk myself out if it before I reach base camp. I get overwhelmed easily. I don’t see myself as a ‘conqueror’ of anything. Yet, I don’t want to be one of the oppressed either.

“No evil will conquer you;” (Psalm 91:10 NLT)

Those who climb Mt. Everest do not reduce the mountain, but they subdue their internal insecurities and gain strength and confidence in the process. I may not be able to defeat evil or subjugate it, but I can be released from its oppression.

“Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.” (Romans 12:21 NLT)

I don’t want to be conquered by evil. I want to overcome every challenge that evil throws in my path. If there is a mountain in my backyard, I can either become disgruntled about how it is blocking the light, or I can climb to the summit and appreciate the view. Yes, there is risk and effort involved. However, God is leading this expedition. I just have to follow instructions and not do my own thing. Every positive step I take helps me advance higher. Evil shall not get the best of me. With God’s help, I shall overcome evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment