streams

streams

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Shekinah

Shekinah is a hard word to describe. It is a transliteration of a Hebrew noun that means dwelling or settling. Other meanings include: Divine Presence, light, Holy Spirit, glory.

I’ve been pondering this word for several days, and I can sense there is something important about it that I need to understand. Yet, it remains out of my grasp.

The other day, I was walking the dog in our neighborhood. It was a cool, foggy morning, and I could feel the mist around me. There was a reassuring weight and density to this fog. It muffled sounds and veiled my path--all I could sense was the present space I was occupying. The weight of this blanket did not feel oppressive; it was comforting, insulating, and intimate. I felt rejuvenated and energized by the cool mist.

I could only see a few feet in front of me. Usually, this level of uncertainty freaks me out. Yet, this time it felt safe. I got the feeling that both  knowing and unknowing are from God.

When we settle into the Divine Presence, when we become part of the Shekinah of God--His light illuminates our next step; his glorious weight covers us; His Spirit refreshes us.  

1 comment:

  1. I know that exact same feeling and experienced it this late Spring. I could feel God surrounding me with love.

    ReplyDelete