streams

streams

Friday, December 5, 2014

My Hiding Place

I have fantasies about living in a hermitage on a mountain. I even indulge myself by making lists of random things I would pack for my sanctuary--lip balm, socks, books, laptop (yes, I’m a tech-dependent hermit!), tea, food, blanket, etc. This fantasy stems from my desire to cocoon myself with comfort and not be bothered by anything. It feels selfish and self-absorbed, but this craving to find a safe hiding place is not uncommon.

“Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him.” (Psalm 91:1-2 NLT)

The desire to find peace is innate in most of us. Yet, we want it on our own terms. We are reluctant to relinquish our preconceived ideas about what is safe. We want to find ‘shelter in the Most High,’ but we still want to be comfortable. 

God is our refuge; we belong in Him, with Him. The journey to the ‘Most High’ is difficult and strenuous. And even once you reach the Shelter, you discover it isn’t necessarily cozy. Yet, it shields you from evil. Thus, it is the best Hiding Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment