streams

streams

Monday, December 22, 2014

Restoring Judgment

It’s the holiday season--Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I enjoy the decorations, music, lights, food, friends, gifts, and laughter. Along with the usual signs of the holidays, I can see symptoms of impaired judgment--overspending, debt, alcohol consumption, overeating, exhaustion, anxiety, desperation, insecurities, addictions, obsessions, societal pressure...

How can we repair and restore clarity?

When a car windshield is fogged up, visibility is reduced. A wise driver will turn on the defogger to clear the condensation or frost. Similarly, a prudent person senses when his/her judgment is impaired and proceeds to repair it as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, humans don’t have a defogger button that restores clarity within a few minutes. It takes time to clear our minds.

Here are a few ways that I use to clean the windshield of my mind: I resist doing whatever it is that got me muddled in the first place. I get away from the crowds and noise. I remind myself to put my confidence in God and wait for Him to restore my soul.

“He restores my strength. He leads me down the right paths for the sake of his reputation. Even when I must walk through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for you are with me.” (Psalm 23:3-4 NET)

No comments:

Post a Comment