streams

streams

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Doormats

Most people have doormats near their front doors that say: Welcome.   I’ve often thought of getting one of those funny doormats that say: GO AWAY. I am highly selective about who I want in my home. I find uninvited visitors to be an imposition. So, I wasn’t too thrilled when I read the following sentences:

“We somehow have the idea that a person called to the ministry is called to be different and above other people. But according to Jesus Christ, he is called to be a “doormat” for others.” (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)

My current, snarky attitude is a long way off from being a welcoming doormat for anyone. I am reluctant to allow others to wipe their feet, smear their dirt, and walk all over me!

Jesus became a doormat--abused, stepped on, imposed upon--all to wipe away our sins as we entered into God’s presence. So, can I not also welcome others to scrape their mess onto me as they approach God?

I’m not willing to be a doormat just anywhere, but only in the house of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment