streams

streams

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Exterminator

“You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night.” (Psalm 17:3 NLT)

If you have ever had any pests in your home, you know they are most active at night. In late autumn, I often hear scratchy noises coming from our attic. We put out rodent bait, and it seems to solve the problem. I’m not sure if the mice are just lying dormant for the winter, or if they actually take the poison and go looking for water as the product label claims.

Scratchy noises from the attic are not the only thing that keeps me up from sleeping peacefully. Most nights I wake up around around 3 or 4 am--usually after some disturbing dream. I wake up covered in sweat, as if I have been wrestling inner pests all night. I force myself to stay in bed until 5 am. I drift in and out of consciousness. I wonder if God is examining my heart and exterminating my sins?

“You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.” (Psalm 91:6 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment