streams

streams

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Get-To-Do List

“There is nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his work.” (Ecclesiastes 3:22 ESV)

I’ve been making to-do lists most of my adult life. The tasks have changed over the years and so has my perspective. These days, I consider the purpose behind each activity. I am motivated by meaning more than the appearance of productivity. I make up my plans carefully, prayerfully...

The title of my list has changed, too. I now have a ‘Get-to-do’ list. Cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, feeding the dog, running, grocery shopping, yard work, coaching, writing, driving, and taking care of  loved ones--I realize how each of these tasks is a privilege. I no longer consider these chores. There are plenty of people who are unable to do these simple tasks. They may not have the money to purchase groceries or a kitchen to cook in or the health to work. They may live in areas where they cannot run safely, do not have the freedom to drive, or the time to volunteer. I have learned to appreciate the routines of my life, to appropriate meaning and purpose in my work, however mundane. I am thankful for all I get to do and the capacity to rejoice in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment