streams

streams

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Make It Your Own

“God remembered us when we were down, His love never quits. Rescued us from the trampling boot, His love never quits. Takes care of everyone in time of need. His love never quits. Thank God, who did it all! His love never quits!” (Psalm 136:23-26 MSG)

Whenever I use a recipe to cook, I modify it. Depending on the recipe, I may add a little bit more garlic or pepper, a little less oil or butter, or slice meat into strips. I am not trying to be creative; I just know what my family is likely to eat.

Similarly, I find it helpful to paraphrase scripture verses and make them my own. I am not trying to be clever or innovative; I just know how my mind works. In order to digest truth, I have to cut it down, marinate it, and season it with my personal experiences. This allows me to get full enjoyment and nourishment out of the Word. I shall close with a short example from Psalm 136:
Lord, You stayed by me when I was down
You never quit.
You rescued me from darkness
You never quit.
You take care of everyone in their time of need.
You never quit.
I’m thankful
That You never quit!

No comments:

Post a Comment