streams

streams

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Worthy Desires

“I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.” (3 John 1:2 NLT)

As far back as I can remember, I have been practical and frugal. I am clear about the differences between wants and needs. I seek a life of simplicity, contentment, and peace. I intentionally cultivate gratitude. As a result, I have developed an aversion to materialism, indulgence, and the flaunting of affluence. Unfortunately, there is a downside to this. It makes me deeply apologetic about my wants--especially if they are expensive or inconvenient. If I can’t justify a desire as necessary, sensible, and beneficial for everyone--it feels wasteful and selfish.  

My idea of what is an acceptable desire could use some updating. Fortunately, I have two wise friends who guide me in this process. Their perspective helps me reassess my long-held beliefs about wastefulness. This is what they have taught me: As long as my wants are healthy, balanced, and empowering, and I am blessed with the time, money, and energy to pursue these desires--they are worthy. On the other hand, making compromises that go against my wishes is self-degrading. Saying ‘yes’--when deep down I want to say ‘no’-- is uncaring to my soul.  I have not yet learned these lessons by heart. Thus, I need my wise friends to continually go over them with me, holding me accountable. They remind me to get rid of all the old messages which create mental chaos. They encourage me to pursue worthy desires that bring health in body and strength in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment