streams

streams

Friday, May 10, 2019

Running for a Cause

“Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. (1 Peter 5:2 NLT)

I’ve been running marathons for a few years now. Thus far, my reasons for running have been mostly about personal improvement. Running long distances has increased my physical endurance and mental fortitude. Setting goals and achieving them makes me feel good about myself. I’ve been focused on what I have to do to be a better runner--increasing mileage, speed, and learning more about the sport.  

Most marathons have a number of runners raising money for charities. According to USA Today, exercise-based fundraisers tend to be inefficient when you look at dollars spent vs. dollars raised. Moreover, most races only give a small percentage to the charity they sponsor. While running for a cause can be a self-transcending experience, it may not be the most charitable. With all this in mind, I am selective about charity races. I carefully research the organizations and their financials before I participate in events. To me, this is simple stewardship. God has entrusted each of us with resources. We are commissioned to watch over everything that is placed under our care. This must be done, not for personal gain or fame, but from a true desire to represent and serve God to the best of our ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment