streams

streams

Friday, May 3, 2019

Meditations of My Heart

“These are the words in my mouth; these are what I chew on and pray. Accept them when I place them on the morning altar,” (Psalm 19:14 MSG)

I have a tendency to eat unhealthy foods when I am busy, stressed, and away from home. In order to curb my appetite for junk, I carry around a small bag of unsalted nuts and dried fruits. I have to pack these bags ahead of time. This takes planning. On days that I know I have a lot to do, I prepare my healthy snacks in the morning, before I need them. These portable baggies of nourishment have saved me countless times from binging on artery-clogging fare.

When I am busy, my mind feels scattered. Like a buzzing bee among flowers, my thoughts flit from one task to the next. I have a predilection towards worry. If left to my own devices, I unconsciously indulge in toxic thoughts and fearful speculations. Thus, I have learned to prepare for hectic days ahead of time. Every morning, I carefully pick out a scripture verse to meditate on while I go about my work. I repeat it to myself several times. I type it up. I save it as a wallpaper on my phone. I post it wherever I can. I continually chew on these verses and pray. These portable meditations prevent me from succumbing to faith-clogging apprehension. My thoughts, attitudes, and speech are transformed when my soul and spirit are nourished by God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment