streams

streams

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Inventory of Blessings

“He will increase what you have, so you can give even more to those in need.” (2 Corinthians 9:10 CEV)

A friend of mine works for a company that requires him to do inventory on all the materials and parts regularly. This got me thinking that it would be good to do an inventory of all the blessings in my life. I started off by writing up a gratitude list--page after page of blessings. I keep discovering new piles in unexpected corners. For example, this morning I read an article that reminded me of how many people do not have the resources to cook healthy, wholesome food.

I am blessed with the time to find healthy recipes, plan meals, and go grocery shopping. I have the skills to cook, drive, access the internet, read and understand articles about nutrition, and the knowledge to store and clean food properly. I have the space to safely store food, equipment to prepare food, my own private kitchen space, cleaning supplies, water, car, gas, and a steady supply of electricity. I am blessed with capable hands to peel and chop whole foods, physical ability to walk, bend, lift, stand. I also have the money to buy groceries, the willingness to cook, and loved ones to nourish.

Once you do an inventory and realize how much you have been blessed, your thoughts automatically go to how you can give more to those in need. Generosity is most often expressed in the forms of gifts and money. Time, attention, respect, friendship, wisdom, support, and guidance are also precious contributions. Recognizing need is a bit more nuanced. Those who feel entitled or are the most demanding receive the most attention while many others go unnoticed. Thus, generosity calls for careful observation and intuition from the giver and vulnerability and transparency from the receiver.  


No comments:

Post a Comment