streams

streams

Thursday, July 18, 2019

An Unpredictable God

“And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?" (Job 26:14 NIV)
After I finished college and started my career, I looked for a workplace mentor who could show me how to advance and teach me what I needed to know.  I prayed that God would reveal this person to me. I presumed an experienced coworker or a supervisor would be my guide. However, the person who helped me was not at all what I expected. She was an unassuming, quiet lady who worked in a different department. She didn’t teach me anything about my job, but she taught me a great deal about faith. Little did I know that her influence would profoundly change my life.
God does not show up in predictable patterns that fit our vision.  We can become fixated on our own ideas of how God is going to answer our prayers. This often leads us to miss His presence in our daily lives. Removing the filter of our presumptions helps us to see clearly. We start looking for God in every person and in every circumstance. We see His glory in the fringes, in the whispers, and in the lowly. We realize His power and wisdom are hidden in the unassuming and unpretentious. We learn to meet God where and when He shows up--not according to our plans or timing--but His. 

No comments:

Post a Comment