streams

streams

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Teachable Spirit

“If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.” (Proverbs 15:2 NLT)
For the last few years, I have been training with a running coach who has many different clients.  I have noticed that Coach gets different results from each of his students. At first I thought it was based on ability--but that is not the case. Some clients improve more than others, regardless of their level of athleticism. Much of the instruction is nonverbal, so I have had to pick up lessons from simply hanging out with him and paying attention. Coach is not pushy. He will make suggestions but not demands. He doesn’t repeat himself. He might say something like: “We should meet at 5 am for speedwork.” If you make excuses or decide you would rather work out on your own--he will leave you to your own devices. This is counterproductive. The whole reason to train under a coach is to become a better runner. If I reject instruction and discipline, I only harm myself. Coach can only get the best out of me if I yield completely to his way of doing things.  
The Holy Spirit has a similar style of coaching. He is not pushy or demanding. Much of the teaching is nonverbal--requiring contemplative time, devotion, and attention. The more you yield and submit to His instructions, the more you get out of the coaching. If you ignore the nudges, pass up on difficult training, or question the directions--He will let you make your own choices. This is counterproductive, sabotaging spiritual growth.  If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment