streams

streams

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Dissatisfying Substitutions

“Why pay money for something that will not nourish you? Why spend your hard-earned money on something that will not satisfy?” (Isaiah 55:2 NET)
Have you ever craved one thing but substituted something else for it? I do this frequently with food. The other day, I was hankering for freshly-baked, caramel pecan rolls. These yeast rolls take a bit of time and effort to bake.  Since I didn’t feel like waiting, I looked around to see what I had in the kitchen that was similar. I found some store-bought bread and topped it with honey and nuts. Although I ate several slices, it still did not satisfy my craving. Even though I consumed a bunch of calories, I ended up scrounging around for more to meet my want. 
“Jesus replied: I am the bread that gives life! No one who comes to me will ever be hungry.” (John 6:35 CEV)
Our souls have been created to find satisfaction in God. It is tempting to grab what is within our reach instead of pursuing what we truly need. This is idolatry. Worldly pleasures and accomplishments cannot be substitutes for Divine yearning. Spending time, energy, money, health, or relationships on things that fail to nourish is wasteful.  Squandering resources on that which doesn’t satisfy is meaningless. Our souls hunger for the bread that gives life. Everything else leaves us unfulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment