streams

streams

Friday, July 26, 2019

Inner Mean Girls

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (Ephesians 2:10 NIV)
When I was in 9th grade, there were two girls from my history class who followed me around saying mean things to me. They took every opportunity to mock, tease, and bully me. I remember always trying to avoid them as much as possible. Why they picked me as their target is anybody’s guess. 
Now that I am an adult, I am much better equipped to deal with people who are mean. In fact, I routinely defend others who are being tormented or manipulated by bullies. However, I am still powerless against the mean girls who live inside of my mind. They follow me everywhere I go, criticizing me at every turn, filling me with self-doubt, fear, worry, and negativity. I can’t seem to get away from these inner demons. I would never tolerate this level of bullying to happen in the external world, but I allow it internally. 
I need to remember that I am God’s handiwork--shaped intentionally and designed thoughtfully. Every aspect of me was crafted with a unique purpose in mind. The things I say to myself, as well as the criticism I accept from others, need to reflect this truth. I am like a beautiful sculpture in a lush garden. Without regular care, I would be covered in bird poop. When discouraging thoughts, shame, blame, accusations, and humiliation overwhelm me, I have to take the time to be cleansed. Spiritual self-care is essential. The external bullies need to be confronted.The inner mean girls need to be silenced and expelled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment