streams

streams

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Running on Trust

“I’ve already run for dear life straight to the arms of God. So why would I run away now.”(Psalm 11:1-3 MSG)

I’ve just done something scary! I’ve signed up for my first 50 km, trail ultra marathon. My common sense tells me that this dangerous and dumb; my insecurities tell me that this challenge is way beyond my abilities. The temptation to succumb to my fear is strong. The desire to stay safe and comfortable is an innate part of all of us. Yet, the main reason I run is to push past self-limiting barriers. 

My ultimate goal is to learn to trust God completely. Running is just one of the tools to help me get there. Every time I take on a challenge that I know I cannot complete in my own power, I am forced to rely on God. My analytical nature compels me to study every course before I take it on. For example, I know this ultra race involves running on uneven terrain, up and down hills, across waterfalls, on slippery rocks. Looking at these logistics fills me with trepidation, but ignoring it won’t help me grow. No, I approach this venture with open eyes and quaking legs, resolved to strengthen my trust muscles. As I overcome each fear, I stand a little taller. I can see the right path ahead. My confidence and security remain in Christ.

“God’s business is putting things right; he loves getting the lines straight, setting us straight. Once we’re standing tall, we can look him straight in the eye.” (Psalm 11:7 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment