streams

streams

Thursday, July 4, 2019

Persisting Under Criticism

“Everything we do is meant to build you up and make you stronger in your faith.” (2 Corinthians 12:19 TPT)

I volunteer as an assistant coach for an afterschool running program. I signed up for this mainly because the head coach is a good friend. My goals are to encourage the kids to recognize their own potential and to build them up when they feel defeated. If anyone in the community were to question my motives for volunteering with these kids, I would probably quit coaching. While coaching kids to run is an interesting project, I don’t feel like it is my calling. 

St. Paul volunteered his services to the community in Corinth. Those who chose to discredit him spread rumors that St. Paul was taking advantage of the community, questioning his motives and his credentials to teach. Yet, Paul didn’t give up; to him, teaching was not a hobby but a calling. 

I am blessed to have time to contemplate, study, pray, and write. I am glad to freely share what I learn.  I am motivated by a deep desire to build others up and make them stronger in faith. But what if people questioned my motives--accused me of taking advantage of them, pushing my agenda, or being inauthentic? Would I quit? Or, like St. Paul, would I be able to persist, knowing that teaching is a calling, and not merely an interesting project? 

No comments:

Post a Comment