streams

streams

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Ephemeral Insights

“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.” (Psalm 91:4 NIV)
In the Bible, feathers symbolize God’s covering and protection. Some people believe that feathers are signs from angels. I have a habit of picking up feathers that I find on paths. They remind me of quills that were used as writing implements before the invention of pens. In my imagination, a large feather, directly in my path, is a confirmation of my calling as a writer. I keep these feathers in a basket on my bookshelf for inspiration.  During a recent run, I saw a large feather directly in front of my feet. Since I was almost at the end of a timed workout, I didn’t stoop down to pick it up. I went back to look for it in five minutes, but it was gone. The wind had blown it away. 
Insights are ephemeral.  Like feathers, they need to be picked up before they are blown away. God opens the eyes of our heart, illuminating our imagination for brief moments. Evanescent gifts of inspiration, confirmation, and understanding need to be cherished and recorded. These moments cannot be replicated or retrieved at our convenience. Pay attention to insights as soon as they come to you. Pause whatever you are doing. Stoop down and pick up the gift. Recognize that discernment is precious, yet fleeting. 
I pray that the light of God will illuminate the eyes of your imagination, flooding you with light, until you experience the full revelation of the hope of his calling.” (Ephesians 1:18 TPT)

No comments:

Post a Comment