streams

streams

Monday, April 19, 2021

A Pencil in God's Hands


“He will be an implement for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.” (2 Timothy 2:21 NASB)

 

Decades ago, I read that Mother Teresa said she was like a pencil in God’s hands. This image resonated with me. I imagined myself as a pencil too, being used by God to write. Yet, I didn’t want to be an ordinary pencil; I wanted to be a special, sparkly one. It did not occur to me until recently that the outside of a pencil merely exists to provide a protective casing for the core. The graphite in the middle is what is significant. A pencil where the graphite has fallen out and the core is empty is completely worthless. When the tip of a pencil is worn down, it is sharpened so that more of the graphite can be exposed. The colorful outer layer and the wooden middle layer is thrown out with the shavings. A good pencil must be sharp enough to write legibly; that’s it. 

 

I no longer crave to be a sparkly pencil, just a useful one. Now that I am older, I realize how little externals matter. It is the substance of my core character that is significant. I am called to be an implement of honor and sanctity. In order to be useful and prepared for every good work, I must yield to the pain of sharpening. Most of all, I need to fit comfortably in God’s hands and allow Him to use me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment