streams

streams

Friday, April 16, 2021

Speak in My Name


He said to me, ‘Speak in My name over these bones. Say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the Word of the Lord.’ This is what the Lord God says to these bones: ‘I will make breath come into you, and you will come to life.’” (Ezekiel 37:4-5 NLV) 

 

One of our old cars rarely gets used, especially during winter months. When I try to start it, the battery is often drained. I have to use jumper cables to revive the car battery with power from a portable charger. This charger is usually plugged into an electrical outlet in the garage. 

 

When I encounter a person who seems drained--spiritually and emotionally--I want to help. I often pray for them, but I don’t see any immediate results. Like a portable charger that lacks the power to jumpstart a dead car battery, I feel powerless and depleted.  

 

When I read the account of Ezekiel and the dry bones, several thoughts come to mind. 

 

-God instructed Ezekiel: “Speak in My Name over these bones.” 

-Ezekiel speaks on God’s behalf. The power source is God. Ezekiel is simply a spokesperson. 

-Ezekiel is speaking over inanimate objects. The dry bones are unable to hear or participate in their revival. 

 

What can I learn from Ezekiel? 

 

Before I attempt to rejuvenate a person who is drained, I need to be continuously plugged in to a power greater than my own reserves. I do not have the capacity to revive anything, but I have the privilege to speak in God’s Name. The Spirit of God can flow through me to reawaken the dormant spirit in others. Their participation is not necessary, but I have to remain willing and submitted. I cannot be discouraged when things seem hopeless. I must persevere in the faith that nothing is impossible with God. 

 

Lord, teach me to speak life into those who are dispirited. Remind me to stay connected to You continuously.  Enable me to yield to Your will. Fill me with boldness and perseverance. Allow your energy to flow through me to those in need. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment