streams

streams

Friday, April 2, 2021

Broken Pathways


“Send out your light and your truth; let them guide me.” (Psalm 43:3 NLT) 

I always get disoriented when running in unfamiliar, wooded areas. All the trails and trees look alike; there are no distinct landmarks. Sometimes the path abruptly ends due to a fallen tree or overgrown vegetation. It’s hard to know if you took a wrong turn or if the path continues up ahead. If there is a GPS signal, I can check the map on my phone. Since satellite signals can be spotty in tree covered areas, I print out a map and carry it with me whenever possible. I also keep scanning for signs that I am on the right track. I am thankful for any evidence of humanity--a clear path, a trail marker, a clearing, or a bench feel reassuring. Knowing others have gone this way before gives me hope and confidence that I am not lost. Once I know I am on the right track, I am able to move forward with confidence.

Similarly, there are times in life when I feel like I am lost in a wilderness. An unexpected crisis falls like a tree across my way, and I have no idea how to proceed. When the pathway in front of me is broken, I have learned to look to God for help. Sometimes I hear from Him immediately. Other times I don’t.  Prolonged periods of disorientation can be discouraging. Even in my desperation, I continually scan for signs of God’s presence. I pray for direction and discernment.  I do not ask to see too far ahead; I ask just enough guidance for the current phase. Each step I take requires trust. I move forward in gratitude. I am confident that God will provide clarity and truth according to His timetable. 

Lord, shine your light and your truth so that I can see the path clearly. Lead me. Let truth be my compass. Teach me to walk in trust and gratitude. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment