streams

streams

Friday, April 23, 2021

The Power of Aging


 “Wisdom belongs to the aged, and understanding to the old.” (Job 12:12 NLT)

 

Beth Moore, a popular author and speaker, has been a huge influence on many women of my generation. Her Bible study guides and videos have been regularly used by church groups of various denominations. Like many other female Christian speakers, Beth always toed a fine line between challenging people to grow spiritually while conforming to her Southern Baptist roots. Now in her sixties, Beth has been speaking up for women who have been abused by men. Her advocacy has been costly. Her criticism of leaders has resulted in fierce pushback from the religious establishment. I wonder why she spoke up now after decades of going along to get along?

 

While youth comes with attention and passion, age brings wisdom and understanding. As an older woman, I have noticed a certain freedom that I did not possess a few decades ago. I call it the power of being unbothered. I am less concerned about the approval of others. As I grow older, I become less visible to the general public; others care less about what I think. This new-found power gives me opportunities that I did not have previously. 

 

I admire Beth Moore’s courage. She is using the power of aging in a wonderful way to advocate for others. How can I follow her example? Can I learn to put myself ‘out there’ to protect and defend those who are powerless?  Am I willing to stand up and speak up for those who are vulnerable, even if this might turn some people off, even if this means I face ridicule and disgust from the majority? How am I going to use my freedom to make a positive difference? 


No comments:

Post a Comment