streams

streams

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Plogging


“Take advantage of every opportunity to be a blessing to others.” (Galatians 6:10 TPT)

A few years ago, a new fitness craze called ‘plogging’ emerged in Sweden. This exercise trend combines jogging with picking up litter. Runners plan ahead before plogging. They put on latex gloves and carry trash bags with them. They intentionally scan the streets for trash. Before I heard of this practice, I would notice trash only if it was in my way. Since I wasn’t prepared with a bag, I would pick up just one or two pieces of litter during the last part of my run. These days, I set aside time for weekly plogging. With gloves and trash bags, I scan the streets and ditches while I jog. I’ve learned a few things during these expeditions. You can either run fast, or you can pick up trash--not both. Plogging involves a lot of stopping and stooping. Carrying trash bags decreases running economy, but having a bag increases cleaning efficiency. It is surprising how much more litter you spot when you are actively searching for it. 

The lessons from plogging can be applied to any form of service. When you are actively scanning for ways to help others, you notice a lot more opportunities. Intentionality is key to maximizing benefits. A shift in priorities is also necessary. The way we usually measure progress and profit may not translate in the economy of service. When our primary goal is to bless others and not cause harm, we see things differently. Things that are out of place and incongruous catch our eye. We notice disparities in power, wealth, and privilege. We sense the pain of others. Instead of moving on with our own goals, we become willing to change our agenda.


No comments:

Post a Comment