streams

streams

Monday, April 12, 2021

Giving Away Treasure


"Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit." (Psalm 51:19 NLT)

I routinely clean out my closet in order to make space for new stuff.  This year, as I sifted through my possessions, I realized something disturbing. My screening process for donations has been: Will I need/want/use this? Does it have sentimental value? Does it bring joy to me? Do I have the space to store it? I rarely gave up anything I valued. It was not sacrificial. My main motives were to declutter and bring order to my home. 

I recognized that I had not been giving in the right spirit. 

Repentance involves turning around when we realize we are on the wrong track. 

I decided to use a different criterion for my donations: Could this item benefit or bring joy to someone else? 

With this new mindset, I approached my closet. I scanned my clothes, shoes, and purses as usual. I picked out several nice things. It didn’t hurt too much. Then, suddenly, my eyes fell on my jewelry box. I have always had an obsession for dangly earrings. I treasured my huge collection of beautiful costume jewelry from all over the world. Many were given to me as gifts. They took up so little space that I have never seen any reason to give them away. Besides, they were mine. Nobody would appreciate them the way I did. I recognized my possessiveness. I knew in my heart that the jewelry needed to be released for my own emancipation. It would certainly bring joy to someone else. As I packed up my earrings, I realized how much harder it was to detach from all that I liked and enjoyed. My life was still centered on my wishes and desires.  I may have made a slight turn, but the old ways still tugged at me. I still had a long way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment