streams

streams

Friday, April 30, 2021

The Way Through


“Your road led through the sea, your pathway through the mighty waters--a pathway no one knew was there!” (Psalm 77:19 NLT)

When I was four years old, I almost drowned. I still remember the bubbles in the water as my body sank slowly in the river. I don’t remember the part where my uncle jumped in and rescued me. Even now, the sensation of drowning feels familiar: waves of panic, a deluge of powerlessness, and finally...surrender. 

My life is pockmarked with such moments of helplessness.  Traumatic experiences leave a huge impression on me, while the subsequent recovery fades from my memory.  I have recurrent nightmares about being in car crashes, losing loved ones, and falling down deep, dark pits. I am sure I have pleasant dreams, too, but I just don’t recall them in the mornings.  This colors my self-narrative.

Some nights, I lie awake imagining all the things that could go wrong in the future. It feels like I am drowning once again. I have learned to intentionally remind myself of the whole story: I have been here before. When the mighty waters engulfed me, when I could not see a way out, God saved me. His road led through the sea--a pathway no one knew was there! This same Savior is still with me. Even when I am powerless, there is no need to panic. God is always near. His ways of rescue might not be what I expect. His timing may seem slow to me. His plans may not align with mine. Yet, God is always there to sustain and strengthen me.  

“When you face stormy seas I will be there with you with endurance and calm; you will not be engulfed in raging rivers. If it seems like you’re walking through fire with flames licking at your limbs, keep going; you won’t be burned.” (Isaiah 43:2 VOICE)


No comments:

Post a Comment