streams

streams

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Downsizing


“It is necessary for him to increase and for me to decrease.” (John 3:30 TPT)


My kitchen counters are full of small appliances: toaster oven, electric kettle, coffee maker, airfryer, blender, rice cooker, etc. Even though I don’t use some of these gadgets on a daily basis, I keep them on the counter. It is too cumbersome to move them into cabinets. Plus, the kitchen cupboards are full as well. I recently bought a stand mixer. I had to clear some space in the kitchen before I could use it. I had to make some tough decisions about what to eliminate. 


Addition is easier than subtraction. Upgrading feels like an improvement, while downsizing seems like a sacrifice. Thus, we prefer to increase rather than decrease. We desire to have more--more money, power, pleasure, convenience, freedom, and stuff. We seek to be more important, privileged, admired, and significant. Voluntary downsizing seems austere and unproductive. 


It is hard to make space for Christ when we are full of ourselves.  Preoccupation with worldly concerns can take up all our time and energy. A certain amount of voluntary downsizing, decluttering, and subtraction is necessary. What attitudes, behaviors, ambitions, and long-held beliefs do we need to eliminate from our lives? These are tough decisions. Yet, we must decrease in order that Christ may increase. 


No comments:

Post a Comment