streams

streams

Monday, June 21, 2021

Learning for Joy

“Wise men and women are always learning, always listening for fresh insights.” (Proverbs 18:15 MSG)

What is the point of learning? 

When I was in school, I studied for grades to get into the college of my choice. When I was in college, I learned whatever I needed for my future profession. Once I had a profession, I took continuing education seminars to keep my licenses and get promotions. I thought the main purpose of learning was for earning. Education equaled career advancement and higher pay.  Degrees, certificates, credentials, and titles provided a form of social currency that could be exchanged for status, respect, and approval. 

It took me decades to unlearn these convoluted myths and extricate myself from old patterns of behavior. 

These days, I learn to satisfy my curiosity for the excitement of discovery. I go on daily treasure hunts, mining for deeper understanding. The process, not the end result, is what I enjoy. Most of what I find is only valuable to me. I cannot sell it, only share it. Even the act of explaining what I learned can be problematic. Any form of kudos or appreciation can pull me back into the old cravings for admiration. Thus, I have to be vigilant, constantly scanning my motivations for sharing. I have to ask myself: Will expressing my joy over a new find encourage or discourage others?  Does dispensing this information benefit someone other than myself? 

The joy of learning is like living near fertile soil fed by a perpetual spring. It is an unlimited resource for growth. Profiteering pollutes this reservoir, diminishing its vast potential. Do not be like the status seekers who exploit knowledge for material gain. Be wise. Learn continually. Listen for fresh insights.  

The current email delivery service for Blogger is being discontinued by July 2021. I have started posting the same content on Substack which delivers emails for free. To continue receiving daily emails, please subscribe at:  https://susannapeters.substack.com


No comments:

Post a Comment