streams

streams

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Moving Forward in the Dark


“Lord, you give light to my lamp. The Lord brightens the darkness around me. With your help, I can attack an army. With God’s help, I can jump over a wall.” ( 2 Samuel 22:29-30 ICB)

I still remember when I first ran in the dark. I had just discovered a Facebook group for local runners. They told me they met at 5 a.m. to run. When I got to the trail head, it was still dark. There were no street lights in this location. I could make out a few shadows--stretching and milling about. I sat in my car for a few moments, overwhelmed by anxiety. I was going to meet complete strangers, in the dark, and run with them into the wilderness. I prayed for courage and stepped out of the car. I introduced myself. A few of the runners told me their names, too. Then it was time to start running. Those who had headlamps turned them on, and the rest of us followed behind. There was very little talking; perhaps it was too early for chit-chat. I felt nervous, but I had no other choice but to move forward.  I focused on the tiny light circles on the path  and listened to the rhythmic footsteps of the shadowed strangers in front of me. I had no idea where I was going or whom I was going with. 

I learned several useful lessons while running through the darkness. First of all, even a tiny ray of light is enormously helpful. Focus on that light, not on the uncertainty. Look for others who are also moving forward, despite the darkness. Fear can be suffocating. Despair can feel overwhelming. But don’t give in; run through the darkness. 

Even if you have never run in the middle of the night through the woods, I am sure your soul has experienced dark times. Perhaps you have felt the murkiness of depression or the panic of anxiety. Do not get stuck in melancholy. Look for the tiniest speck of light. God will provide you with enough illumination for the next step. He will work through strangers and friends to show you the way. With God’s help you will run through danger and jump over obstacles. Your fear will turn into courage. Your weakness will be transformed into strength.

The current email delivery service for Blogger is being discontinued by July 2021. I have started posting the same content on Substack which delivers emails for free. To continue receiving daily emails, please subscribe at:  https://susannapeters.substack.com



No comments:

Post a Comment