streams

streams

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Sensing My Smallness


“Lord, what is it about us that you would even notice us? Why do you even bother with us? For man is nothing but a faint whisper, a mere breath. We spend our days like nothing more than a passing shadow.” (Psalm 144:3-4 TPT) 


A few years ago, I went to visit the Muir Woods in California. There is a grove of redwood trees in this park. I had heard and read about these trees, and I was eager to see them for myself.  Until I stood next to one, I couldn’t grasp the immensity of its size. The trunks were so wide; my outstretched arms couldn’t cover even a fraction of their girth. I strained my neck back, but I couldn’t see the tree tops. I felt so small in comparison. I learned that some of these trees have been alive for thousands of years--before the first European settlers even knew about the existence of the North American continent. I was in awe. 


As I read the above verses of Psalm 144, I was reminded of how I felt near the redwoods. It was my littleness next to these ancient, giant trees that allowed me to recognize their greatness. I often try to wrap my mind around the expansiveness of God’s creation, His power, His glory, and His majesty--but my comprehension does not stretch that far. What I can sense is my smallness.  I know I am weak and powerless. I understand that my life is fragile--a faint whisper, a mere breath, a passing shadow. In the hush of this realization comes a revelation: It is my insignificance that allows me to worship God’s magnificence.


No comments:

Post a Comment