streams

streams

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Gratitude in Adversity

“Be thankful in all circumstances...” (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT)

It is easy to feel thankful for good things, but how can I bring myself to feel grateful in adversity? 

If I were to list all the negative circumstances that I have had to deal with, it would be depressing. If I were to remember all the suffering and injustice in this world, it would be overwhelmingly sad.  If I were to dwell on my helplessness to effect change, I would become dispirited. 

I am a realist. Thus, I acknowledge both the positive and the negative in my life.  I am unable to feel thankful for pain, but adversity brings me closer to God’s presence. Gratitude helps me to focus more on the good while surrendering that which is beyond my power to God. Trust and thankfulness are the support beams of my faith. Without these, I would crumble beneath the weight of discouragement. Thus, whether I ‘feel’ it or not, I whisper the following prayer: 

Lord, I thank you for all circumstances, even when I don’t understand Your will. I trust You to help me. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment