streams

streams

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Undistracted Living


“I’m saying this for your benefit, not to restrict you. I’m showing you how to live a noble life of devotion to the Lord without being distracted by other things.” (1 Corinthians 7:35 GWT)

Obstacle course racing is much more difficult than pure running. It takes much more concentration and grit to plow through the barriers. Each obstacle requires a different approach. Every time an athlete pushes through a challenge, it is a small victory. 

Distractions are hurdles on the noble path. 

Every day is an obstacle course of distractions for me. Phone notifications, media, food, background noise, intrusive thoughts--the hurdles keep coming one after another. Trying to stay focused on any one task is tiring. It’s almost as if I have lost the ability to concentrate for any length of time. I am attempting to retrain my concentration. I may not be able to avoid all distractions, but I am learning to manage them one at a time. I approach each of these obstacles strategically. I notice the cues that trigger my inattention and how I reward myself with diversions. I try to push through the temptation...or at least delay gratification. I silently celebrate each small victory.  Every time I overcome distractions, I move one step forward on the noble path. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment