streams

streams

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Why Change?


“Does this sound as if I am trying to win human approval? No indeed! What I want is God's approval!” (Galatians 1:10 GNT)

Before I attempt to change the way I do things, I always sit with the following questions: Why change? What is my motivation? How will this impact other parts of my life? Is the cost in time, energy, or stress worth the impact? Am I willing to pay the cost? 

Change is difficult. Unless the reasons behind my desire to change are worked out ahead of time, I often give up as soon as things get uncomfortable. Whether it is cosmetic adjustments to my hair to make myself appear youthful or behavior modifications in the way I consume media or food, I have to consider my core motivations. Many of my default habits are based on what has worked reasonably well in the past. They are pleasurable in some way. Either they feel good physically, or they gain approval from those around me. On the other hand, countercultural choices invite pushback. It makes others uncomfortable. The social cost can be high. Even small changes can have wide implications on how you fit in with those around you.  

Why change? What is my motivation? I want to be an authentic person. I want to mature thoughtfully. I want to expend more energy on my interior than on my exterior. I want to be better than I used to be--stronger, braver, sturdier. I want to be more resilient, more steadfast in my convictions. Most of all, I want to be less addicted to human approval and more dependent on God’s approval. 

(Continued in next post) 


No comments:

Post a Comment