streams

streams

Thursday, November 4, 2021

Power Source

“That’s why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me.” (Colossians 1:29 NLT)

A few years ago, I visited the Pinecreek Grist Mill. This historic water mill served local farmers in the 1800’s. Water mills use the power of flowing rivers to turn a large wheel which can operate millstones that can be used to grind grain into flour. Prior to my visit, I had only seen pictures of water mills--with their huge wooden wheels on the outside of weathered buildings. The Pinecreek Grist Mill was different than I expected. Due to the cold winters in Iowa, the water wheel has always been located inside the building. I could imagine the laborers doing business on the main floor of the mill, while the  giant wheel turned underneath the building. Although it was out of sight, I am sure the millers knew that their work was dependent on the mighty power of the river. 

I was reminded of this old water mill when I read the above verse from Colossians. Just like the industrious millers who worked at the Pinecreek Grist Mill centuries ago, I labor and struggle daily. There is much to be done, and I am not that strong or able. When I am exhausted and overwhelmed--it is easy to forget that all the visible work I do is actually powered by an invisible force within me. I am dependent on Christ’s mighty power. As long as I remain connected to the flow of the Divine Spirit within me, all that needs to be done will get done.


No comments:

Post a Comment