streams

streams

Monday, November 29, 2021

Today's Challenge


“Refuse to worry about tomorrow, but deal with each challenge that comes your way, one day at a time. Tomorrow will take care of itself.” (Matthew 6:34 TPT)

I play Words with Friends, an online game similar to Scrabble. On each turn, a player gets a set of letters to make words and score points. I have a habit of formulating my next possible move as soon as my turn is over. This is a waste of time, because I never know what opportunities are going to be open on the board until my opponent has played. Sometimes, days go by before my turn comes up again, and I can’t remember the moves I had planned anyway!

A similar thing happens as I go about each day. My mind is constantly thinking about the future--worrying, planning, obsessing. This is a waste of time and energy. I don’t know what doors will open and what doors may close tomorrow. Opportunities that I cannot foresee may come up. Disasters that I cannot imagine may completely change my options. 

Anxious thoughts prevent us from appreciating the present. Future suffering may be packaged differently than we imagine, so trying to figure out how to deal with it now is pointless. Worry stunts interior growth, so refuse to indulge in it. Do not be consumed by it.  Deal with each challenge that comes your way, one day at a time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment