streams

streams

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Purposeful Steps


“You direct me on a path that leads to a beautiful life. As I walk with You, the pleasures are never-ending, and I know true joy and contentment.” (Acts 2:28 VOICE)

On my daily training runs around my neighborhood, I sometimes take short detours to talk with neighbors or check the mailbox. However, during a race I am conscious about every step I take. At aid stations, I pick up the water and keep running. I don’t get distracted by whatever is happening on the sidelines. Every step, however slow, is in the right direction--never backwards, never sideways. 

The way I move through my daily life is more like a training run than a race. I routinely get side-tracked by diversions. My mind strays first; then my body follows. My days are always busy but not always purposeful. Changing this pattern requires concentration and discipline. 

I am practicing taking tiny, purposeful steps in the right direction. In order to be disciplined, I have to consistently review what matters. This reduces the distraction detours. Visualizing God by my side also helps me to stay on track. I turn my mental chatter into a dialogue with the Lord. I tell Him whatever pops up in my head. I confess my attitude problems. I ask questions. I listen for directions. I remind myself of God’s attributes. I praise and thank Him continually. The more I walk with the Lord, the more conscious I become of His presence, the more I experience peace, joy, and contentment. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment