streams

streams

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Contrapositive Statements


“I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13 NLT)

 

The following paragraph is a bit nerdy, but please stick with me...

 

In the study of mathematics, the truth value of a theorem is analyzed by written proofs. A conditional statement such as “If p, then q” is proven true or false through step-by-step logic. A contrapositive statement flips the original postulate around. For example, “If not q, then not p” is the opposite in both value and order. If the conditional statement is true, then the contrapositive is also true. 

 

Philippians 4:13 is one of my favorite verses from the Bible. Paraphrased as a conditional statement, it would say: If I am operating under the power of Christ, then I can overcome any difficulty. I can attest to the truth value of this verse from personal experience. The contrapositive of this verse is also true: If I cannot overcome a difficulty, then I am not operating under the power of Christ. 

 

When I am feeling overwhelmed, it is a sign that I am trying to manage on my own. When faced with challenges, I will say a quick prayer and proceed to problem-solving. I rely heavily on personal resources and skills. When that does not work, I look to other humans for support. I wait until I have exhausted all my options before I surrender everything to God. I need to remember that I cannot accomplish anything unless I am operating under the power of Christ. 

 

“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment