streams

streams

Friday, January 21, 2022

Inner Hearing

“But when the Spirit of Christ empowers your life, you are not dominated by the flesh but by the Spirit.” (Romans 8:9 TPT)

 

I got a new pair of bone-conducting headphones. Instead of covering my ears, they transmit sound through the temporal bones on the sides of my head. The vibrations bypass my eardrum and go directly to my inner ear. Although they are meant to be used for outdoor sports, I use them indoors while doing housework. The headphones are paired to my laptop. This setup allows me to listen to music and still hear family members. The signal gets choppy when the microwave is on or I go out to the porch. I am conscious of these temporary interrupters and move away from the barriers as quickly as possible. 

 

These headphones remind me of another kind of inner hearing...

 

I have never heard God speak audibly. Unlike the sounds of this world, the Spirit bypasses my eardrum and goes somewhere much deeper. There are times when I feel cut off from Divine insights. This used to make me feel abandoned. I would wonder what sin I had committed. Now I know better. God’s love is unconditional and constant. The Lord continually speaks into my life, but my receptivity can be blocked by circumstances and emotions. I have learned to shift my posture and perspective--to move away from the barriers until I can sense the Spirit once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment