streams

streams

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Lions' Den

“Daniel, servant of the living God! Was your God, whom you serve so faithfully, able to rescue you from the lions?” (Daniel 6:20 NLT) 

I’ve been mulling over the story of Daniel in the lions’ den. Like other parts of the Bible that involve animals, this story is often relegated to children in Sunday school. I didn’t think it had much to offer me as an adult. 

As I mentioned in the previous post, I have been carving out time to pray at least three times a day. Like any new habit, I have to be intentional and disciplined. There are multiple timers and reminders involved--which makes the whole process feel inorganic, pointless, and forced. 

As I was questioning the value of ritualistic prayer, I got a call from a relative. He described struggling with various temptations. I suddenly realized the symbolic relevance of the lions’ den! As adults, we each face different kinds of weaknesses. Some are merely annoying like rodents while others are as dangerous as lions. Our willpower alone may not be strong enough to escape these predators. 

A consistent connection with God allows us to call on Him without hesitancy. There is no awkwardness in a relationship when you talk to someone regularly. Daniel was able to face the lions unscathed, because he relied on God’s power. He was able to do this comfortably because of his undeviating faith.  An awareness of God’s presence and dependability enables us to confidently call on Divine power to shut down the temptations that wreak havoc in our lives. 


No comments:

Post a Comment