streams

streams

Monday, January 17, 2022

Soul Singing

“When you are filled with the Spirit, you are empowered to speak to each other in the soulful words of pious songs, hymns, and spiritual songs; to sing and make music with your hearts attuned to God.” (Ephesians 5:19 VOICE)

I like to sing, but the sounds that I produce do not always match what is in my head.  My vocal range and my capacity to stay on pitch are limited. Thus, I have a tendency to butcher songs when I sing out loud. This discordance is distracting, so I rarely sing these days.

When I am immersed in prayer, I often remember snippets of hymns I’ve heard before. Instead of blocking them out, I have learned to sing silently. The melodies and lyrics flow harmoniously in my mind. Unlike my voice, my soul has perfect pitch. My heart becomes attuned to God as I sing in the Spirit. 

Most days, I feel a nudge to find the song online and send it to someone else. While looking for one particular song, I inadvertently find other things that inspire me--similar songs, lyrics, images, verses, articles, etc. These discoveries lead to thoughts that end up in my writing. The blessing keeps flowing…

 


No comments:

Post a Comment