streams

streams

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Praying in the Spirit

“At times we don’t even know how to pray, or know the best things to ask for. But the Holy Spirit rises up within us to super-intercede on our behalf, pleading to God with emotional sighs too deep for words.” (Romans 8:26 TPT)

 

In the last post, I mentioned experiencing and knowing God. Yet there are aspects of spiritual life that I have not savored. I am unsure what ‘praying in the Spirit’ exactly means. I have read about it. I have spoken to trusted friends who have experienced some version of this form of prayer. I have  desired this type of Divine communion for a while, but it has remained an elusive mystery. 

 

If you have personal experience in praying this way, please share your insights in the comments.

If you, like me, are inexperienced but curious, read on.

 

Here is what I’ve gathered thus far about this phenomenon:

The Holy Spirit takes over and supernaturally intercedes on our behalf. We become the space where the communion takes place. 

There is more to praying in the Spirit than speaking in tongues. Words are not necessary. Sometimes there are sounds, other times not. 

Not everyone is blessed with this gift. Neither the presence nor the absence of this gift is a sign of one’s level of faith. 

Those who have experienced this form of communion seem to crave it. 

They want to stay in the Spirit and pray unceasingly. All other concerns seem to diminish in importance. 

 

Holy Spirit, take over my mind. Teach me to pray in the Spirit, to stay in the Spirit. Use my soul as a prayer room for Divine communion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment