streams

streams

Monday, May 14, 2012

Blessed Are We Among Women

This Mother’s Day morning, I spent some time reading Each Day a Portion, a book by Nancy Nystrom. Nancy is a friend of a friend. She runs an orphanage for street children in Mexico. In her book, she tells of mothers who are unable to care for their children. Most of these moms are too busy surviving, so the children are left to fend for themselves.

On this Mother’s Day, I think of my own mom… her expressions of regret. She missed out on a lot of our childhood because of her work.

I realize how blessed I am as a mom. I have been able to take care of my child. I have a husband who supports me unequivocally in my attempts to nurture and nourish our only son.

Some of us have been given the opportunity, resources, support, health, inclination, and time to take care of our children. Those of us who are called to this vocation of motherhood are blessed among women.

P.S.- If you live in the Iowa City area and read this before 5/16/12, you might be interested to come hear Nancy Nystrom speak at the Washington County Library at 6:30 pm.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment