streams

streams

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Giving Your Power Away

Whatever you love or fear has power over you.

When you love people, you become vulnerable to their choices. Their circumstances affect your peace. When they are hurt, you get hurt. Likewise, if you are passionate about anything, it has a grip on you. For instance, if you are wrapped up in acquiring wealth, advancing your career, building your dream house, promoting a cause, or pursuing a hobby…these obsessions can bind you.

Whatever you fear, whether it is sickness, death, poverty, divorce, failure, violence, loneliness…that apprehension can enslave you.

Why do we give away our power like this? It’s like giving our house keys to someone. Once you hand it over, it’s really hard to get it back. So we try to pick reliable people whom we can trust.

So then, who is trustworthy? Whom should we love? Whom should we fear? Who shall have power over us?

“I hate all this silly religion,
but you, God, I trust.
I'm leaping and singing in the circle of your love;
you saw my pain,
you disarmed my tormentors,
You didn't leave me in their clutches
but gave me room to breathe.” (Ps. 31:6-13 MSG)

“The Lord’s delight is in those who fear him,
Those who put their hope in his unfailing love. (Ps.147:10-12 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment