streams

streams

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Myth of a Distant God

Traditional beliefs point to a God who lives in heaven, while we humans live here on earth. A bit like a C.E.O of a large company, who stays up in his plush office on the top floor, while the rest of the employees work busily on the bottom floors. We work hard, trying to impress our boss and get promoted. We eventually hope to work our way up to an office on the top floor next Him.

My experience has been different. It is more similar to the following verses:

“When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.
When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you're between a rock and a hard place,
it won't be a dead end—
Because I am God, your personal God.” (Isaiah 43:2 MSG)

I think God is with us, within us. He is not distant or absent or too busy or condescending. He works alongside us, struggles with us, suffers for us. How do I know this? Because I can sense His comforting presence, His guidance, and sometimes…I think I hear Him laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Man! I've gotten behind -- too busy to contemplate along with you.
    I like the verse you've pulled here. Good thoughts and reminder.

    ReplyDelete