streams

streams

Monday, May 28, 2012

Pink Slime

By now, most of you have heard about ‘pink slime’, a filler added to beef. We’ve all been eating it for years without being aware of it. Fillers and additives are so common that we’ve been programmed to accept them without objection.

In his book, Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis says the following about what a New Testament Christian society would look like: “Every one is to work with his own hands, and what is more, everyone’s work is to produce something good: there will be no manufacture of silly luxuries and of sillier advertisement to persuade us to buy them.”

Ouch! If I were to inspect my life carefully, I’d find a certain amount of filler. I don’t know if I manufacture silly luxuries, but I’m sure I consume and distribute my fair share of them.
 
How about our faith? Our churches are so different from the New Testament ideals. We spend more time and resources on recruiting new members than on serving the poor. If C.S. Lewis wrote a book of our current version of Christianity, he would probably title the book, Processed Christianity.

We’ve known about fillers in our lives for a long time. Unfortunately, we are willing to accept some pink slime in our faith as long as they keep it out of our meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment