streams

streams

Friday, May 25, 2012

Pity Party

I know that the phrase ‘pity party’ is associated with being negative. Yet I think it may be cathartic to have a real pity party. When a person is feeling really sad, it’s better to express it than bottle it up. If we can have parties to celebrate the positives, why can’t we get together to comfort those in grief?

I have a friend who is going through a rough time right now. I wish I could host a full-blown pity party in her honor. I would send out invitations to all her close friends. Everybody would wear comfy clothes and no make-up (cuz there’s going to be crying). As the guests arrive, there would be mournful music playing in the background while I hand everyone her own box of Kleenex. I would make sure there was plenty of therapeutic junk food. And then we would all listen, console, and comfort while she got all her emotions out… however long it takes to get it out of her system. I think having a pity party with good friends is better than having one all by yourself.

Sometimes a good cry purges a lot of grief. It’s an essential step towards healing. I’m all for positive thinking as long as we allow people to express sadness as well.

“For everything there is a season…
A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment