streams

streams

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Myth of a Forgetful God

I have a prayer list with lots of names. Daily, I remind God to take care of these people. I feel the need to repeatedly ask God to take care of certain situations and problems.

Is God like a baby-sitter you hire that needs to be given detailed instructions on how to take care of your child? Or like an easily distracted teenager who needs to be reminded of his responsibilities? Or like a husband, who needs to be nagged about a honey-do list?

Unfortunately, this is how I relate to God. When I spend time with Him, I’ve got into the habit of listing my concerns. This is a big part of what I call prayer.

It’s appropriate to yield or surrender our worries to God. I’m sure He hasn’t forgotten anything we said to Him yesterday. But if repeating our concerns make us feel less burdened, God is patient enough to hear us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment